Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Home

I’m home. I’m on my laptop, sat upon my bed, drinking a jukalash cawfee (chocolate coffee), and I’m comfortable. Korea has gotten to the point where it feels like home.

That sounds more permanent than it’s meant. Illinois was my home. Iowa never felt like home but Bangor did for a time. And I left all those places and came to Korea and one day I’ll leave Korea too. I’m okay with that. I’m always okay with leaving home as I’m not much for feeling sentimental over that stuff. I miss my dog. I miss taco bell and I miss hockey nights with the one-eared freak, but I was okay with leaving Illinois.

Korea has turned into home, seemingly suddenly but I've been here three months and the realization was sudden though the process was not. I know where the Lotte Mart and Emart Traders are and I know my budget and how much I always go over. I could get to the DMZ if I wanted or to Busan or Seoul and I know the prices of KTX tickets. I know how to get places the KTX doesn't go and how to speak to the cabbies. I know when to say “Ne” and what hand motions to use to say no to emphasize “Aniyo.” I no longer worry over dealing with the cashier at the 815, though sometimes I’ll get some chicken and they’ll point to it and say something I don’t understand and I imagine they’re saying “This is dog, you know,” just because it gives me a laugh and I know it’s not true.

I plan to go at the end of my year here, so June 2014, but who knows? I can’t speak for the future but I can tell you that right now I’m home.



No comments:

Post a Comment