Friday, July 19, 2013

Brain Lag

My clock has always been set around school. Up through high school, I woke up at 6:30 (unless I overslept), got to school by 7:30 (unless I overslept), and got home between 3:00 and 4:00 (even if I overslept).

In college, my schedule was varied from semester to semester and day to day. MWF, I might up at 10 and TR, I'd get up before 2.

In Wales, it was even crazier since I had classes on three days and Monday class was at 7:00 PM and I was always counting back 6 hours except during the two weeks when UK DST was in effect but the US's DST was not so we were only off by 5 hours. And while in Wales, I never forgot that. I could count back easily to know when my friends were up, when they were in class, when it was 3:00 AM, and I could contact (or torture) them accordingly.

Well while working as a sub, my schedule got closer to the grade school days, but I usually got a day or two off. And when I was out of work, I didn't need a schedule and I'd set it around when I'd play hockey or baseball with some loser I know who's missing part of his ear.

But Korea has been different. I'm 14 hours ahead (I'll have to find out about DST). It's easy enough to do the math quickly: count back two hours then switch the AM or PM to the other. I've been confidently doing that math since May and thought it'd be easier than instant ramen (which my students try to tell me is spelled ramyeon).

But it's not.

The few people I follow on YouTube have a set schedule of releases. And Monday, I was all set to watch the Monday Let's Play in the morning before work but after my hike with Director Lee. But it was Monday here. Okay, I thought, it's still early. I got home from work and no video. Wow, their internet must've been really slow today, I thought.

Nope! It was still morning there! And I keep messing up the time. When I downloaded Magic Jack and was testing it, I tried calling my mom--at 6:00 PM my time. That's 4:00 AM their time!

I'm an idiot. 

1 comment: